29 May 2009

Going Home for Gawai Festival

Soon, on the 1st of June, the Dayaks in Sarawak will celebrate Gawai festival. The Dayaks would visit their friends and relatives on this day. Such visit is more commonly known as "ngabang" in the Iban language but those too far away to visit would receive greeting cards.

Gawai is a major event for Sarawakians. As usual, many people will apply for annual leave and that includes me. I will be away for a week. On Saturday, I will start driving back to my hometown. Tonight, will have to pick my relatives from the airport. I hope I still can blog because I love blogging so much.
(An traditional dance, ngajat)

(The Bidayuh community)
(The Iban community)

P/s: All photos taken were during my visit to Sarawak Cultural Village

24 Reptozian Messages:

Mahirah Kamaludin said...

Willie...all of sudden i miss those days in Sarawak. Kalau Hari Gawai, I and few frens pergi dewan suarah. Sekarang ada lagi ke buat event kat situ?

erolnukman said...

selamt hari gawai pok...cney kampung kau?
p/s:
mun palau ya jgn lupak mekorg..hahaha!

oo..ooo...aku palauu...

Bb Hussain said...

Nice pictures. Selamat Hari Gawai and enjoy your holiday.

designationjazz said...

Happy Gawai Dayak bro.. Gayu Guru Gerai Nyamai Sidi Rayerk!!.. ha ha.

nur enjel said...

Selamat Hari Gawai :D

amieyalen said...

I love all the dances they have it here in sarawak.... and if I see people dance in a function, I will want to join too... not sure why... but I love the dances.... especially the ngajat... some might say hard, but for me,,, it's in my blood oledy... even tho im not Iban... but i can dance their traditional dance... So proud!!!! :D

Ms Tikot said...

Selamat Hari Gawai. Gayu Guru Gerai Nyamai.

Willie said...

Thank u all for your wishes...jemput datang ke rumah k?

Khairul Antasha said...

hallu bro...Selamat Ari Gawai.. gayu guru gerai nyamai...yerr..

Merryn said...

hapi gawai to u n safe journey!

LVYNANA said...

Selamat Gawai, ne map ke rumh ne ;)

Willie said...

Khairul, Lvynana & Merryn > Thanks. See yeah.

Ida Athanazir said...

want to wish you HAPPY GAWAI !!! mun driving pulang kmpg drive bait bait.

Big Momma said...

happy gawai!!!

Mei Teng said...

I should time my visit to Sarawak during the festival so I can see and experince the culture of this community.

But then again, might be swarmed with people and tourists everywhere....

SiMpleSmArtErMe said...

HaPPy GaWAi DaY..!!!

Cyril said...

Happy Gawai bro...

aba palau..

FRANKIE said...

Happy Gawai holidays, Willie.

Samantha said...

Happy Gawai to you Willie. The Cultural Village might earn extra by increasing the entrance fee for the Gawai Festival!

khairul onggon said...

Willie.. Selamat Hari Gawaii... sorry aku lambat wish kotan gago gilak.. hehe.. selamat balit kampung k..

Ssembonge said...

Sounds like you will be having a lot of fun. Enjoy the break.

Yatie SawaNiLa said...

nice pic bro....i never see the pesta depan mata should experience

BTW selamat hari gawai

Ivy Metaga said...

happy gawai!!!!

Ayie said...

must be fun to watch all the dances