22 June 2009

Tips on Using Flash Light

Firstly before I share with you the tips on using flash light, I would like to thank bro. Norris for posting and compiling my photo shoot of his wedding in his blog. I posted them here, for others to see. Those of you who wants to see more of his wedding photos can click here.


THE IMPORTANCE OF FLASH.

Those who are using Digicam might have some problems with lighting because the flash is fixed and will flash directly on the object. For those who have DSLR should have known the importance of flash. Thanks to Abg Hamka ( A photographer) Who was willing to be my subject for lighting demo.

Situation 1: Direct Flash
Direct flash to the object will darken the background, over exposed the face , which makes the face looks oily and also produces shadow. These are all undesirable effects of direct flash. Most people with Digicam will have no choice but to use direct flash.

Situation 2: No flash
When there is no flash, the subject and its surrounding will be dark.

Situation: Indirect flash
Most photographers will use indirect flash, where the light is set to flash onto the ceiling. The light will then bounce to the object. The advantages of indirect flash are, there will be no shadow, the surrounding is visible and the face is more visible without the oily effect on the face.

Happy learning.

24 Reptozian Messages:

Chel Rinj said...

thanks for the tips..but i only have digi cam..and it's too pricey to get a DSLR at the moment..pakei lampu to add in the light boleh la kan.. ;P

Hamidah Mohamad said...

Thanks for the tips fren..My camera is rather simple but still I cannot make good use of the flash.

amieyalen said...

Hahahahaha how about using the compact camera? sometimes, the flash really makes the photo looks good, but sometimes, it turn out to be very bad... need info for compact camera... hahahahahaha

Bb Hussain said...

really good tips..but me also only have digicam..wish could buy DSLR soon..

Si Penconteng said...

Yer. Hamka eh. He was my sifu in Flickr when I first started with photography & Flickr dolok.
P.S. Ooo. Cemya cara duhal with the flash light thingy. Thanks for the info, Will :)

Willie said...

ChelRinj & amiey > I will try to give some tips on DIgiCam.

Hamidah > U can learn from my blog. Slow an Steady bah.

BbHussain > Hope to hear good news from u about the DSLR.

SiPenconteng > ah...u know him? What a small world.

khairul onggon said...

Wow... best tips tok bro... i hope there will more tips k... :)

lvynana said...

Makaseh cikgu.t

Ms Tikot said...

Mcm ya paduhal caranya. TQ for the info.

Sumuk said...

oooo... itu macam ka... icic..

Irene said...

Willie, got check your mail or not? Hope to hear from you a.s.a.p

Willie said...

Khairul > Hehehe...sikkan kawu sik tauk bro...pasal tok...kawu terrer gik bah. Hahha

Ivynana > Sama sama

MsTikot > Duhal kan?

Sumuk > Iya...mcm itu bah.

Irene > Got.

SiMpleSmArtErMe said...

Wowww.. Good!!
Sharing is carring..
Now I wish for DSLR..huhu...

Mei Teng said...

Knowing how and when to use the flash in photography's truly important.

What flash unit are you using?

Samantha said...

Generous of you to share photography tips on your blog :) Waiting for the day where I'll have my own dslr. My normal camera's flash is too bright!

BigGirl said...

indirect flash tu maknanye kena pasang flash laen, bukan flash yg dh sedia ade kt camera ke?sorry, me x brape paham

chegu carol said...

I am still learning to use the flash light myself. Sometimes, i did not point it correctly, sebelah muka cerah while the other gelap. LOL!

Kris and Nadia said...

Wow.. thanks for the tips.. good to know.. wanna try it la :)

foongpc said...

Wow! This is such a good tip! Thanks, though I only own a digicam, not DSLR : (

Merryn said...

wah! simple things like this oso i dun know! now i know.. the next time i use my digicam, i'll turn of the flash n turn on the torch light n face it to the ceiling n let it bounce back to MY object.. there.. my DSLR! pandai tak? :)

Mummy Gwen said...

Thanks for the tips. My Hubby has a DSLR but only the built in flash...not the speedlite.

Marlene said...

I'm still learning how to use my DSLR and I want to avoid using the Auto more often.

This is a good tip. I will practice this direct and indirect flash. Thanks a lot for sharing your expertise in photography.

Willie said...

SimPleSamrterME > Don't just wish, buy one now! Hahaha

MeiTeng > Currently using SB400. I am upgrading to SB600 or maybe i'll buy third party - Nissin.

Samantha > No problem. I'm sure you'll get one soon.

BigGirl > Yup. U kena pasang flash lain atau flash tambahan.

CheguCarol > Flash to the ceiling. Jgn ke tepi.

Nadia > U need external flash to do that. HEhehe

FoongPc > You will.

MErryn > Hahhaha...very Creative!

MummyGwen > Ask him to invest one.

Marlene > No problem.

cdason said...

Orait.. Now I know why pro photograpers always have their flash pointing upwards. Paduhall..

-cyrildason.com